Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"The Last Stop" by Brian Cable

On the essay "The Last Stop," Brian Cable observed a mortuary.  My feelings on this essay are in the middle.  I feel like I'm being pulled to both sides.  I really enjoyed his approach on the subject: the layout and organization. On the other hand, I did not like his topic. A mortuary? Maybe I'm just proving his point, but I would rather not hear about someone touching a dead corpse.
The way Brian Cable approached his essay "The Last Stop" was really enjoyable.  I loved the analysis first followed by the description.  His introduction was probably one of the best that I've read in a while. It really drew me in.  His description of the undertaker was like one from a movie.  I just pictured this ugly, pointy-nosed guy (Snape??). He described everything he saw extremely well.
Maybe it was the subject of death or maybe it was the talk of touching a dead body, I did not want to hear about a mortuary.  I recently had a family member die and this story just reminded me of how I would not want anyone to touch her dead corpse.  It's disrespectful. I realize that I am proving his point of not wanting to think about or hear about death, but I would just rather live my life in the moment not thinking of life after death and enjoy myself.

No comments: