Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Less is More" by Jan DeBlieu

I grew up with the luxuries of money. I guess you would say. I got a cell phone around the age of thirteen. I got a laptop at fourteen. I got a car when I turned sixteen. My family and I have been on cruises and other vacations around the globe. They pay for my tuition to Auburn and my flag line fees. Yet, we are still financially sound. I do believe.
Even though I grew up with all of these niceties, I never once took any of it for granted. While I never had the experience of scrounging for food, I always took what I had with a grain of salt. When my car windows were down, the air conditioning was off. When my friends got the new and improved versions of cell phones and laptops, I didn't complain.
I think about becoming greener every day. Right now I've started with recycling and not driving as much. I'm almost offended by what she says towards the end of her article. I find it a little hard to believe that her teenage son has never heard of the Great Depression. You learn about it every year since the fifth grade. It almost seems like she's exaggerated this a little too much. To me, she's almost stereotyped her son's generation, my generation, of young adults. ...Maybe it's just me...

No comments: