Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"Americans Entitled to Cheap Gas-Right?" by Joan Ryan...a tad late.

$2.00 a gallon of gas is pricey? I remember rejoicing a couple of weeks ago when gas lowered back down to two dollars. I can now fill up my gas tank for less than twenty dollars. But up until recently, gas has been in the three to four dollar range. With the war and everything, gas prices raised, and since it was the summer they raised even higher. Going off to college, it would take me over a hundred dollars just to make it here to Auburn. My car is not known to have the best gas mileage.
So, this article made me laugh a little. Joan Ryan points out how much more often we drive our cars than the rest of the world. Until, she begins her "rant" of how Americans basically want more than they need. She starts discussing a car buyer buying a car with bad gas mileage just because it's pretty because she has the money to pay for the extra gasoline dollars.
Then, Ryan begins on McDonald's and the growing popularity of fast food restaurants in America. She recommends the movie Supersize Me!. "The movie reinforces what we Americans already know and have known for years: Fast food makes us fat and unhealthy. The movie shows, too, that this knowledge makes no difference whatsoever in our behavior." Throughout the rest of the article she criticizes and stereotypes Americans. I didn't laugh so much towards the end of the article. By the end of her article, I just wanted to put it down; I did not fit into any of those stereotypes she placed on Americans, so it was almost like she was discredited in my mind.

No comments: